More than 60 businesses from around the state have signed up since the launch of Wisconsin Businesses for Equality — a joint project of Fair Wisconsin and the Wisconsin LGBT Chamber of Commerce — to show their support for updating Wisconsin’s non-discrimination law to protect the transgender community, with Rockwell Automation being the newest corporation to sign on.
“Rockwell Automation is proud to support Wisconsin Businesses for Equality because we believe this will help attract the best talent to this state and positively impact the social and economic health of the region,” said Ed Seaberg, vice president, Information Technology, Rockwell Automation. “Inclusiveness and diversity leads to innovation and better decision-making — and people want to live and work where they feel like they fit in.”
Rockwell Automation joins other corporations — including Froedtert Health, Kohler Co., ManpowerGroup, Milwaukee Bucks and UW Health — who have previously signed up to show they believe now is the time to add non-discrimination protections for gender identity and expression statewide.
“We are so thankful for the support of all the corporations, like Rockwell Automation, and other businesses that have stepped up to show their support for updating our state’s non-discrimination laws,” said Jason Rae, president and CEO of the Wisconsin LGBT Chamber of Commerce.
“These businesses understand the importance of supporting their diverse workforce, as well as the need to be a community that is welcoming and inclusive of all people,” said Megin McDonell, executive director of Fair Wisconsin. “We are thrilled to see so many businesses signing up and supporting equality.”
In 1982, Wisconsin became the first state in the nation to protect lesbian, gay and bisexual people from discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodations. However, the law only protects individuals based on sexual orientation and not gender identity and expression.
A bill has been introduced in the Wisconsin State Legislature co-authored by Rep. Mark Spreitzer, Rep. JoCasta Zamarripa, and Sen. Tim Carpenter called The Privacy Protection and Gender Identity Anti-Discrimination Act. This bill adds gender identity and expression to the state’s 1982 non-discrimination law.
Additional businesses and organization that have signed on to show their support for modernizing Wisconsin’s non-discrimination law include:
- 414 Photography, Inc
- 8 Branches Chinese Medicine
- Accurate Web Solution, LLC
- ACLU of Wisconsin
- Alliance for Strong Families and Communities
- American United Transportation Group
- Amy Sherman-Kortbein Realtor
- ArtWorks for Milwaukee
- Associated Bank
- B2B Dynamix LLC
- Bay View Printing Co.
- Bay View United Methodist Church
- Bounce Milwaukee
- Brush & Canvas 2 U
- Center for Community Healing, LLC
- Coqui Paperie & Gifts
- Coughlin Consulting
- Cowboy David's Bake Shoppe
- Cruise Planners
- Diverse & Resilient
- Eagle Centre House Bed and Breakfast
- FlorenceCares, Inc
- Fox Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
- Gimbel, Reilly, Guerin & Brown LLP
- Golden Antler Design
- Goodwill Industries of North Central WI
- Halling & Cayo. S.C.
- HENRY STEINBERGER, PhD, LLC
- Hunger Task Force
- Imagine'at Photography, LLC
- Janviere Photography
- Jennifer Parker Therapy, Training, and Consultation
- JMC Properties, Inc.
- Kickapoo Valley Ranch Guest Cabins
- KWG Counseling
- Leaning Tree Naturals LLC
- Loving Commitments Relationship Services
- Lyle Husar Designs
- Masters Ceremonies
- Milwaukee Metropolitan Community Church
- Molly Maid of East Metro Milwaukee
- MOXIE Food+Drink
- New Health Chiropractic & Integrated Healthcare
- Nexus Consulting Group, Inc
- North Shore Event Centre
- Orphonic LLC
- Pathfinders Milwaukee, Inc.
- Peaceful Mind Massage LLC
- Pickle Jar
- Quest Home Loan Center
- Radisson Hotel Milwaukee West
- Rascals Bar & Grill
- Salvatore’s Tomato Pies
- Scott & Company Salon
- Shepherd Express
- Solace Acupuncture
- Source 1 DJ Services
- Sugar Doll
- Telmark Sales Solutions Inc.
- The River Food Pantry, Inc.
- Touch of Pride Sales, LLC
- Vital Image Wedding Studios
- Vitality Health and Wellness
Businesses wishing to add their name to members of the coalition can do so at wibusinessesforequality.com/sign-the-pledge.