Since 1994, Potawatomi Hotel & Casino has provided meals for hungry children, safe places to stay, supplemented youth education and more through its signature community program Heart of Canal Street.
Twenty-four years later, Heart of Canal Street continues to help fund the missions of 31 local children’s charities annually. Twenty of those organizations from around southeastern Wisconsin were randomly selected Nov. 14 to benefit from the property’s yearly program.
“We couldn’t be more excited for the group of charities selected to participate in our Heart of Canal Street program this year,” said Potawatomi Hotel & Casino Bingo Director Melanie Martin. “These organizations have a profound impact on youth in our community and we can’t wait to support their efforts.”
This year’s Heart of Canal Street randomly selected charities include:
- Advocates of Ozaukee
- ArtWorks for Milwaukee
- Artists Working in Education Inc. (AWE)
- Audio & Braille Literacy Enhancement, Inc. (ABLE)
- Balance, Inc.
- Betty Brinn Children’s Museum
- Blue Lotus Farm & Retreat Center
- Casa Romero Renewal Center
- Citizen Advocates of Washington County, Inc.
- Discovery World
- Family Service of Waukesha
- Family Sharing of Ozaukee County, Inc.
- Friends of the Mukwonago Library
- HEAR Wisconsin
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Southeastern Wisconsin
- La Casa de Esperanza
- Schlitz Audubon Nature Center
- United Community Center
- Volunteer Center of Racine County, Inc.
- YMCA of Greater Waukesha County
In addition to the randomly selected charities, 10 signature charities and Potawatomi Hotel & Casino’s Charity of Choice, Safe & Sound, were selected by the program’s media partners and announced in August. The signature charities include:
- ALS Wisconsin Chapter — presented by Lamar Outdoor
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metro Milwaukee — presented by Scripps Media
- Girls on the Run — presented by Fox Sports Network
- Life Navigators — presented by Milwaukee Radio Alliance
- Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra — presented by WISN 12
- Muscular Dystrophy Association — presented by OnMilwaukee.com
- Ronald McDonald House — presented by Clear Channel Outdoor
- Running Rebels — presented by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Wisconsin Conservatory of Music — presented by 88nine Radio
- Zachariah’s Acres — presented by BizTimes
Heart of Canal Street funds are raised primarily through Canal Street bingo games played during every bingo session. The fund-raising total will be announced during a celebratory event held at the casino Dec. 15.
Since its inception in 1994, the Heart of Canal Street program has made over 610 donations totaling nearly $17 million to fund children’s programs throughout southeastern Wisconsin. Eligible organizations must have 501(c) (3) status, serve a primary client base of children younger than 18 and be located within Milwaukee, Racine, Washington, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Dodge, Jefferson, Kenosha, Sheboygan or Walworth counties. A complete list of submission guidelines is available at www.paysbig.com/business/heart-canal-street/.