MoveOn.org Political Action and the Humane Society Legislative Fund teamed up to launch a new online ad highlighting Hillary Clinton’s record of animal protection and her “expansive” pro-animal campaign platform.
The ad was developed after MoveOn members said protecting animals is a key issue for them and the Humane Society Legislative Fund endorsed Clinton for president.
MoveOn.org represents millions of progressive members nationwide, according to a news release, and HSLF is a nonpartisan political advocacy organization that makes endorsements based on a candidate’s support for animal protection policies.
In their announcement for the campaign, the groups said: “During her eight years in the U.S. Senate, Hillary Clinton was a consistent supporter of animal protection policies, earning a 100 percent score in HSLF’s Humane Scorecard for the 108th Congress, a perfect 100 score in the 109th and an 83 in the 110th.”
In Congress, Clinton:
• Led efforts to stop the overuse of antibiotics in farm animals, which allow them to be crammed into overcrowded, stressful and unsanitary factory farms;
• Cosponsored legislation to prohibit the transport and receipt of horses to be slaughtered for human consumption;
• Cosponsored the Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act (S. 261) to prohibit the interstate transfer of animals for animal fighting;
• Cosponsored the Downed Animal Protection Act (S. 1779) to stop the processing of “downer” livestock;
• Cosponsored the Puppy Protection Act (S. 1478) to crack down on abusive “puppy mills” where dogs are treated like production machines;
• Signed letters requesting funds for the U.S. Department of Agriculture to step up enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act, the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act and the federal animal fighting law
The statement from the groups said as secretary of state, Clinton led international efforts to crack down on wildlife trafficking and, through her work at the Clinton Foundation, she helped launch a major campaign against the illegal ivory trade and poaching of elephants.
Here’s the transcript of “I’m With Purr”: Humans aren’t the only ones with a stake in this election. Hillary has a bold platform to protect animals and wildlife. She wants to: Strengthen “puppy mill” regulations. Reduce the overuse of antibiotics. Pass the “Prevent Animal Cruelty and Torture Act.” Vote Hillary Clinton. #ImWithPurr.