Their Blood Cries Out: The Tulsa Massacre and H.R. 40 kicks off a series of national forums focused on the massacre and the urgency of H.R. 40, a federal bill that would establish a commission to examine the institution and legacy of slavery and make recommendations for reparations to Congress.
This builds on the unprecedented momentum behind the reparations movement: In 2019, Congress held a historic forum on Shelia Jackson Lee’s H.R. 40 legislation, which has seen a dramatic surge in support. At the local level, communities across the US have pursued reparations for African Americans, with successful reparations programs in cities like Chicago and Rosewood, Florida, and legislative success in Evanston, Illinois.
The forum also falls on the 99th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre, when mobs of white residents stormed Tulsa’s affluent Greenwood district, burning down the enclave known as “Black Wall Street” and leaving hundreds of black people dead. Although it has been called one of the worst incidents of racial violence in US history, no one was ever charged with a crime for the violence or compensated for the loss of life and economic devastation.
Join scholars, activists and other leaders as we address the current events and history that compels reparations and the passage of Congressional Bill H.R. 40 for Black communities impacted by America's legacy of slavery and racism.
featured guests include:
Dr. Tiffany Crutcher, Founder, Terence Crutcher Foundation
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, lead sponsor of H.R. 40
Nicole Austin-Hillery, Executive Director of the US Program, Human Rights Watch
Bryan Stevenson, Founder and Director of the Equal Justice Initiative
Montague Simmons, Movement for Black Lives Reparations Policy Table
Kamm Howard, National Co-Chairperson, National Coalition for Reparations for African Americans (NCOBRA)
Nkechi Taifa, Esq., Civil Rights/Human Rights Attorney
Jasiri X, Hip-hop artist/activist
- Gay rumors come back to haunt Lindsey Graham during a tough re-election campaign
- Trump: COVID-19 testing is 'overrated,' but I created 'the greatest testing machine in history'
- Roll Call: Key votes from the Wisconsin congressional delegation this week
- Recent hangings of blacks arouse fears that lynching has returned to America
- Tulsa's major newspaper urges Trump to cancel June 20 rally
- Gov. Evers, Lt. Gov. Barnes propose policing reforms to addrress racism in Wisconsin
- Minnesota officials admit officers slashed tires of cars belonging to medics, journalists and protesters
- COVID-19 vaccine should belong to the people
- Americans are the unhappiest they’ve been in nearly 50 years
- Major advertisers flee Fox News star Tucker Carlson over racist screed
- Mayor Young’s Administration Seeks Unacceptable Last-Minute Delay of Crucial Water Justice Legislation
- The Williams Pipeline Example: Four Governors Can Stop These Climate-Killing Gas Projects
- NRDC: Nevada to Tackle Car Pollution
- Twenty Cities and Towns in New York Unite to Oppose Danskamer Fracked Gas Plant
- Cut Carbon Not Forests: Hard-Hitting Campaign Urges UK Policymakers to Build a True Clean Energy Economy and End Dirty Biomass Subsidies
- On Juneteenth – and Every Day – Support Environmental Justice
- Fighting For Progress: Thank You For Keeping Us Strong!
- Study: Climate Crisis Disproportionately Harms Black Mothers and their Infants
- NRDC: High Court Protections for Dreamers Affirm Core American Values
- EPA Blows Up Court Order Over Rocket Fuel Contaminant in Drinking Water