Bay View brewpub District 14 will host the first annual Project Terroir Brewfest on Aug. 28 from noon to 8 p.m. The free event gives 10 different brewers the exact same raw ingredients, and each must come up with a single new beer.
Each brewer must use Briess 2-row malted barley, Briess 2-row caramel malted barley, Chinook hops and Willamette hops. Other ingredients such as fruit, spices, flavorings or sugars are not allowed.
The idea behind the fest is to highlight what makes each craft brewery unique, including differences based on equipment, water supply, techniques, and how each builds its recipes. Project Terroir Brewfest says these factors can actually alter a beer’s style and flavor profile more than the raw ingredients.
The 10 participating breweries include:
- District 14 Brewery and Pub – Milwaukee
- The Fermentorium – Cedarburg
- Rustic Road Brewing Co. – Kenosha
- Kenosha Public Brewing – Kenosha
- Second Salem Brewing Co. – Whitewater
- Sweet Mullets Brewing Co. – Oconomowoc
- Big Head Brewing Co. – Wauwatosa
- Brenner Brewing Co. – Milwaukee
- MobCraft Beer – Milwaukee
- Milwaukee Ale House – Milwaukee
Attendees can purchase the beers in a sample size or a full pour. A punch card will be available for $14 for those wanting to try all 10 Project Terroir beers. The fest also features live music and food vendors.