Don’t let voter suppression win

The Wisconsin Gazette

Please don’t sit out the election because the state has erected barriers to you exercising your right to vote. Clear the hurdles. Cast your ballot in the Nov. 4 election and support civil rights advocates fighting to overturn voter suppression laws.

 WiG has compiled details about the voter ID law and the Nov. 4 election.

Present one of the following kinds of photo ID to cast a ballot

• Wisconsin driver’s license (current or expired after Nov. 6, 2012).

• Wisconsin photo ID card from the Department of Motor Vehicles (current or expired after Nov. 6, 2012).

• Receipt from the DMV showing application for an ID within 45 days.

• U.S. Passport (current or expired since Nov. 6, 2012).

• Naturalization certificate (from Nov. 6, 2012 to present).

 • Military ID (current or expired since Nov. 6, 2012).

• Photo ID from a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin.

• Student ID from a Wisconsin college or university, but only if the ID contains a name, photo, signature, issuance date and expiration date and the student has proof of enrollment.

The photo ID does not need to include a current address to be valid for voting. Poll workers are supposed to look at the name and the photo.

To apply for a free voter ID at the DMV, you must

• Present proof of identity, such as a Social Security Card, pay stub with a SS number, W-2 form, discharge papers, court order, federal ID card, driver’s license, marriage certificate or college photo ID.

• Present proof of residence, such as a utility bill, mobile phone bill, bank statement, current insurance policies, original lease agreements or deeds.

• Present a birth certificate or follow the “document process verification” at the DMV to obtain proof of name and date of birth. You’ll need to state that you do not have a birth certificate and that it would require a fee to obtain one.

The ACLU of Wisconsin advises those who seek to obtain a photo ID without a birth certificate to bring any available proof of name and date of birth, including records from a baptismal, hospital birth, early school, family Bible and U.S. Census account, as well as a doctor’s record of post-natal care or a delayed birth certificate.

Hassles at the DMV

The ACLU of Wisconsin asks people who encounter problems obtaining photo IDs without birth certificates to call 414-272-4032. The nonprofit also has a survey form on its website at

Military and overseas voters do not need a photo ID to cast ballots.

Voters who are elderly or disabled and considered “indefinitely confined” to home can vote absentee by mail without a photo ID, but they must mark that on the ballot application form.

Getting registered,

staying registered

Wisconsin law requires voters to maintain current registrations. A person must complete a voter registration application if he or she is a new Wisconsin voter, has changed a name or residential address or not voted in the past four years.

Voter registrations can be updated by mail, at city halls and at polling places on Election Day.

On the Web

Wondering if your registration is up-to-date? Where to vote? What’s on the ballot? Or the status of your absentee ballot? Go to