- Views & Opinions
“Well, something that shocked me about Russia – and I’m surprised this is not a huge story – suddenly, homosexuality is against the law. I mean, this seems like Germany: Let’s round up the Jews, let’s round up the gays, let’s round up the blacks. I mean, it starts with that. Why is not more of the world outraged at this?”
– JAY LENO speaking with President Barack Obama on the “Tonight Show.”
“It is a shame and it is a sin but it is a personal choice. It is not normal but a person cannot be punished in Russia for being homosexual, or to live with a dog, with a horse, with a sheep, whatever.”
– Russian politician VITALY MILONOV speaking to the BBC about the “sin” of homosexuality. Milonov is behind St. Petersburg’s anti-gay law, which was later adopted by the nation as a whole.
“I applaud the Russians for taking a stand for children!”
– National Organization for Marriage spokesperson REV. BILL OWENS praising Russia’s persecution of LGBT people.
“Our (Russian) problem with homosexuals is that they behave in a provocative, victim-like way. They are aggressively foisting minority’s values on the majority. It is likely that society would counteract this. Naturally, right? In various ways, including brutal ones. … They should be prohibited from donating blood, sperm. And their hearts – in case of a car accident – should be buried or burned as unfit for extending anyone’s life.”
– Russian state television host DIMITRY KISELYVOV during a radio interview. He was promoted shortly after making the remarks.
“You go to jail in Russia for being gay. Someone better arrest those nesting dolls. They’re ladies inside other ladies!”
– STEPHEN COLBERT tweeting a comment about Russia’s crackdown on homosexuality.
“Reince Priebus, when I got engaged, congratulated me at the White House Correspondents’ weekend. Last year, Sean Spicer (RNC communications director) congratulated me on getting married to my husband. Yet they incorporate into the platform of the RNC their stance against marriage equality.”
– MSNBC host THOMAS ROBERTS speaking on “Morning Joe.”
“My mother’s illegal abortion marked a time in America that we have worked long and hard to leave behind. It was a time when women were seen as second-rate citizens who were not smart enough, nor responsible enough, nor capable enough to make decisions about their lives. It was a time that deserved to be left behind.”
– Kenosha native MARK RUFFALO speaking out for reproductive rights in a letter read during a rally outside of Mississippi’s last abortion clinic.
“I believe that exposing children to these health risks without clear evidence of benefits that outweigh these serious risks is not appropriate.”
– New Jersey GOV. CHRIS CHRISTIE explaining why he signed a bill on Aug. 19 banning “ex-gay” therapy for children in his state.