Episcopalians return to Georgia’s ‘Mother Church’

Administrator

Episcopalians in Savannah returned to worship at the sanctuary known as Georgia’s “Mother Church” for the first time in years after winning a long legal battle, according to AP.

Georgia’s Episcopal diocese recently held its first Sunday service at Christ Church since 2007, when the congregation broke away from the denomination in a dispute over homosexuality and other doctrinal issues. The breakaway congregation held onto the $3 million church property in downtown Savannah throughout a court battle over which group rightfully owned it.

The Georgia Supreme Court ruled last month in favor of the Episcopal Church. The breakaway group moved out and is holding Sunday services at another local church.

Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe set aside land for Christ Church in Savannah after he founded the colony of Georgia in 1733.