Charges dropped against 3 in attacks

FacebookTwitterDiggDeliciousStumbleuponBuzz Up!Google BookmarksRSS Feed
(0 votes, average 0 out of 5)

New York City prosecutors in late October dropped charges against three people accused of taking part in anti-gay attacks on two men and two teens, citing a lack of evidence.

Bryan Almonte and Brian Cepeda, both 17, and Steven Carabello, 16, had been charged with robbery, gang assault and unlawful imprisonment as hate crimes in the Oct. 3 attacks.

Eight other people remain accused in the case, which New York officials called the worst anti-gay attacks in recent history. It’s possible more people will be arrested because investigators are still working.

Authorities said a loosely organized street crew known as the Latin King Goonies found out one of their recruits was gay — and when they found out, they snapped, setting off a weekend rampage. The recruit, a 17-year-old boy, was beaten and sodomized at the abandoned apartment, which they used as a hangout. The gang members then went after a 30-year-old man known throughout the Bronx neighborhood as The Queen, who they believed had had a sexual encounter with the teen, prosecutors said.

The man was burned, beaten, tortured and sodomized with a miniature baseball bat, police said.

From WiG and AP reports.

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comment.