GLAAD, the nation's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender media advocacy and anti-defamation organization, announced Jan. 16 the nominees for its 24th annual media awards.
The awards, according to GLAAD, "serve as a benchmark for the media industry and complement GLAAD's work to bring LGBT images and stories to Americans."
The nominees include:
• "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," starring Ezra Miller, Logan Lerman and Emma Watson.
• "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," starring Maggie Smith, Judi Dench and Tom Wilkinson.
• "Cloud Atlas," starring Ben Whishaw and James D'Arcy.
• The TV shows "The New Normal," "Smash," "Glee," "Modern Family.
• The documentary "How to Survive a Plague."
• An interview with Bishop Gene Robinson on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."
• Oprah Winfrey's hour-long visit with Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka.
• CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360."
• MSNBC's "Melissa Harris-Perry."
• Frank Ocean for his "Channel Orange" album.
The list also includes GLAAD's first nomination for a PG-rated animated film, "ParaNorman," which also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature Film.
Spanish-language nominees include Titulares Telemundo for an interview with openly gay boxer Orlando Cruz, news programs "Primer Impacto," "Encuentro" and "People en Español."
"Images and stories from the LGBT community continue to push support for equality to historic levels," stated GLAAD president Herndon Graddick. "This year's nominees enlighten and entertain, but also reflect a new American landscape where a growing majority accept and value their LGBT family, colleagues and friends. Now more than ever, viewers not only accept gay and transgender characters and plot lines, they expect them – just as they both accept and expect LGBT people to be a valuable part of their everyday lives."
The GLAAD Media Awards ceremonies will be held on March 16 at the New York Marriott Marquis; in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott; and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco - Union Square.
Special Honorees for each city will be announced in coming weeks.
GLAAD announced 120 nominees in 25 English-language categories, and 33 Spanish-language nominees in 8 categories.
A list of GLAAD Media Awards nominees may be found here.