The Associated Press’s daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
1. PUTIN-PROTESTING PUSSY RIOT GETTING VERDICT
Around the world, the punk rockers’ supporters plan to rally with today’s ruling.
2. THE SECRET BEHIND ROMNEY’S TWITTER POPULARITY
Some are questioning whether his more than 861,000 followers are for real.
3. A LOOK AT THE MOTIVATION FOR ECUADOR TO PROTECT ASSANGE
Offering asylum to the man responsible for the biggest-ever spilling of U.S. secrets was apparently too attractive for President Rafael Correa to resist.
4. WHEN HUMANS CAN’T SAVE YOU, IT’S EMILY TO THE RESCUE
The remote-controlled craft with a flotation device is being used by lifeguards on the “Baywatch” beaches in California.
5. CAMPERS: BE WARY OF MORE THAN BEARS
Rodents at popular Yosemite lodging spot may have spread rare and fatal virus.
6. FELLOW BIPOLAR SUFFERER KENNEDY VISITS JESSE JACKSON JR.
The ex-congressman from Rhode Island says his colleague’s deep depression will take lots of work to manage.
7. HOW A 297-POUND 12-YEAR-OLD FEELS AFTER PEEWEE FOOTBALL BAN
“I’m not sad, I’m mad that I don’t get to play.”
8. TIMEPIECE MAKER WATCHES AS PLEA FOR $100,000 NETS HIM $10.3 MILLION
The founder of Pebble Technology discovered the joy of crowdfunding.
9. WHY ROBERT PATTINSON ACCEPTED ‘COSMOPOLIS’ ROLE
He looked up director David Cronenberg on Rotten Tomatoes “and it was like 98 percent approval.”
10. MOM SAYS HER AUTISTIC SON WAS TURNED DOWN FOR HEART TRANSPLANT
An expert on medical ethics says this is why more people need to sign organ donor cards